Re: [Amps] Picture tubes

To: Glen Zook <gzook@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Picture tubes
From: "David C. Hallam" <dhallam@knology.net>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 18:39:07 -0400
I wish we had some of the 1960's color TV.  They were an excellent
source of power transformers.

David
KW4DH

On 5/11/2011 6:29 PM, Glen Zook wrote:
> They float!  At least all of those that a guy who owned a garage TV shop down
> the block from my parents house took down to the river and used for target
> practice with a .22 calibre rifle did.  Now this was back in the mid 1950s
> when no one was concerned about such things.
>
> Glen, K9STH
>
> Website:  http://k9sth.com
>

> --- On Wed, 5/11/11, Rob Stampfli<rob@cboh.org>  wrote:
>
> I have a friend who removed a rather large picture tube from a console once.
> I think it was around 27" diagonally.  He wanted to dispose of the tube and
> electronics and re-use the cabinet.  The tube was much heavier than I would
> have thought.  I guess those tubes have to be pretty thick on their face if
> they are to be anywhere near flat. (And, the glass there is probably leaded
> to cut down on soft x-rays.)
>
> Anyway, we pondered whether the picture tube would float or not.  I said it
> would; my friend said, no, too heavy.  We were going to fill a large trash
> container with water and test it, but never got around to it.
>
> So, what's the verdict:  sink or float?

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of
them."
Thomas Jefferson

"We may consider each generation as a distinct nation, with a right, by the
will of its majority, to bind themselves, but none to bind the succeeding
generation, more than the inhabitants of another country."
Thomas Jefferson