Re: [Amps] Big tubes

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Big tubes
From: "Roger (sub1)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 02:18:50 -0400
On 10/14/2011 2:22 AM, Ian White GM3SEK wrote:
> Roger (sub1) wrote:
>>> Id also vote for YC-156 rebuilds. One back to new specs will outlive most
>>> hams especially if run legal (-;
>> It'll probably out live their grandkids too<:-)) The only complaints I
>> have for legal limit amps is the thing is so darn big and it takes
>> forever and another day to warm up.  OTOH I automatically turn my amp
>> on every time I turn on the rig.
>>
> One YC-156 owner has solved that problem by giving the heater
> transformer its own IP address. By the time he arrives home from work,
> it's ready.

Run it class A and key it with no carrier and the shack will be nice and
toasty by the time you get home.
With today's remote control for stations being relatively simple it
should be relatively simple to turn on the rig or any portion while on
the way home from work.  That would rarely work for me as I'm retired
and it only takes about 1 minute to make it from the house to the rig in
the shop and have every thing fired up.  I've missed DX just because my
current amp takes 3 minutes to warm up. Of course it doesn't happen very
often, but it's still an aggravation. <:-))
Of course the 4CX3000A7 is almost instant on although it takes a step
start or ramp up of the filament voltage @ 375 watts

73

Roger (K8RI)