Re: [Amps] PRO III and ALpha 76

To: rick darwicki <n6pe@yahoo.com>, "[Amps]" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] PRO III and ALpha 76
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 23:40:26 -0500
> At any rate it appears 6 ms vacuum relays should work in the AMP if I
> drive them from the ACC jack or maybe the PTT line out on the
> RigBlaster.

I would not drive any vacuum relays from an Icom ACC jack without a
delay on break circuit unless I never planned to use QSK.  The ACC
jack will release 3 to 10 ms before the transceiver stops making RF.
The resulting hot switching on break will destroy the vacuum relays
very quickly.

 > My AL-80B with a pin diode QSK board is keyed by the RCA jack Send
 > on the back of the radio, which I think is what W0QE indicates as
 > the HSEND line.

No, the Send relay (RCA jack) is different than HSEND.  The relay
circuit includes the 5 to 15 ms delay on break needed to prevent
external devices from hot switching on break.  HSEND is a dual
purpose PTT IN/PTT OUT line on the ACC, ACC(1), and ACC(2) jack in
Icom transceivers.  It is pin 3 on the 13 pin ACC jack in the 706,
7000, 7200, 7410, 9100, etc.   It is pin 3 on the 8 pin ACC(1) jack
and the 7 pin ACC(2) jack in the "big" radios 746Pro, 756Pro, etc.

HSEND is very different than some other control signals, e.g. T8,
in the transceivers.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV