Re: [Amps] Fwd: Linear Amplifier Tuning---PROPERLY!

To: deswynar@xplornet.ca, donroden@hiwaay.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fwd: Linear Amplifier Tuning---PROPERLY!
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 20:12:18 -0500 (EST)
Hi All, it makes no sense to not peak the tune C as the last step in a
matching procedure.

The tuning network is fully adjustable, allowing a match from your nominal
50 ohm load to what ever plate load impedance you want to use. If the tube
needs  2000 ohms for best efficiency and power output, it is a simple matter
to provide  that. But, the transformed impedance is resistive only when the
complete network  is resonant. The only way that can happen is when the
plate tune C is adjusted  last, for maximum power transfer. The complete
network includes all sources of  reactance, including tube output C and stray C
as
well as the effect of the rf  choke and tank inductor and tune C.

When you tweak the tune C for maximum output, you are making all of the
reactance contributors parallel resonant, leaving only a resistive load for
the  tube.

Sure the plate load impedance changes when you tweak the tune C, that is
what is supposed to happen. Over coupling slightly is just another way to say
 that the plate load impedance is reduced slightly. If you don't end up
with the  desired over coupled value, then the plate load C is not set to the
required  capacity and needs further adjustment.

Operating a tube into a reactive load just doesn't make any sense in my
mind. It may not be reactive enough to hurt anything but how can it help in
any  way?

Standing by for other view points and arguments.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 12/21/2011 2:50:05 P.M. Central Standard Time,
deswynar@xplornet.ca writes:

On  2011-12-21, at 7:55 AM, donroden@hiwaay.net wrote:

> Isn't it true  that if you re-peak the tuning control, then the loading
> is no  longer "over-coupled" ?

Hi Don,

I think you've hit the  proverbial nail right on the head with that
observation---which, BTW, was  pretty much the very same opinion that the
majority
of originators of the last  batch of e-mails that I received here on the
subject had, as  well...

Probably the best easy-to-grasp response (for me, anyway!) that  I read
here as to why it is NOT desirable to re-tweak the plate TUNING  capacitor as a
final step in the tuning process of a linear amplifier, came  from Steve
(KK7UV), who was told---when asking a similar such question himself  some time
ago---that "...the answer was something like 'if you do that, you  change
the load line and you play cat and mouse between the tuning and loading
caps'".

Makes sense to me, I s'pose...

Too bad the movers &  shakers in the Amateur radio world of
literature---from Bill Orr back in the  day, to the present crop of technical
gurus
on-line---couldn't be as  descriptive! Hams, by their very nature, are
inveterate
knob-twiddlers &  adjusters----so why WOULDN'T we re-adjust things "...one
final time" during a  tuning-up process...?! A simple & final "HANDS OFF!"
warning after the  over-coupling procedure in the descriptive literature would
suffice! Hi  Hi.

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI -  VE3XZ