Re: [Amps] Fwd: Linear Amplifier Tuning---PROPERLY!

To: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fwd: Linear Amplifier Tuning---PROPERLY!
From: chas <chasm@texas.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 10:59:15 -0600
On 12/25/11 9:01 AM, Fuqua, Bill L wrote:
> You can have IMD without any second harmonic. All you need is the third
> order polynomial  term of the Vout/Vin curve. Simply have two Cosines of
> different frequency, summed together raised to the power of 3 you get
> fundamental, third harmonic and the IMD products we see with a two tone
> test. I sent out a paper on IMD and Cross cross modulation some years ago
> to this group. On vacation now and don't have it on this computer. Maybe
> one of you can locate it. All the math is there. No rocket science. Just
> some algebra and trig. Peaking the plate tune cap last for max output does
> not mean that you have matched impedance. It just makes the net result
> resistive and not reactive. That is to say Resonant. Rather than off
> resonance. 73 Bill wa4lav _______________________________________________

As much as I hate to admit it but allowing for the fact that this list is not
made up of Lawrence Livermore employees, professional mathematicians, etc
I will hazard a guess that I am in the vast majority when I have to ask "what
in 'ell did you just say?".

In other words, feel free to talk down to the rest of us whose PhDs, MDs, etc
are not in your field of - math above Jr High Algebra... <G>

I realize that you might find it impossible to detune your Einstein level
math speech but perhaps you could give us a band graph showing what we should
be doing instead of expecting us to move into your head and to pick up the
math computations which you are using.

thanks
chas k5dam
Houston, Tx