Re: [Amps] Fwd: Linear Amplifier Tuning---PROPERLY!

To: TexasRF@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fwd: Linear Amplifier Tuning---PROPERLY!
From: Frank <frankkamp@att.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 12:32:37 -0600
TexasRF@aol.com wrote:

>Hi All, it makes no sense to not peak the tune C as the last step in a
>matching procedure.
>
>The tuning network is fully adjustable, allowing a match from your nominal
>50 ohm load to what ever plate load impedance you want to use. If the tube
>needs  2000 ohms for best efficiency and power output, it is a simple matter
>to provide  that. But, the transformed impedance is resistive only when the
>complete network  is resonant. The only way that can happen is when the
>plate tune C is adjusted  last, for maximum power transfer. The complete
>network includes all sources of  reactance, including tube output C and stray
>C as
>well as the effect of the rf  choke and tank inductor and tune C.
>
>When you tweak the tune C for maximum output, you are making all of the
>reactance contributors parallel resonant, leaving only a resistive load for
>the  tube.
>
>Sure the plate load impedance changes when you tweak the tune C, that is
>what is supposed to happen. Over coupling slightly is just another way to say
> that the plate load impedance is reduced slightly. If you don't end up
>with the  desired over coupled value, then the plate load C is not set to the
>required  capacity and needs further adjustment.
>
>Operating a tube into a reactive load just doesn't make any sense in my
>mind. It may not be reactive enough to hurt anything but how can it help in
>any  way?
>
>Standing by for other view points and arguments.
>
>73,
>Gerald K5GW

That is the ticket!  Tune for max smoke at the antenna!  It works for me.

I can see how you can improve IMD 2 or 3 db by agonizing over the
"proper way to tune" but your probably already at 20 to 30 db IMD to
start with.  That 3 db will never be noticed by anyone except the fellow
looking at the lab equipment.