Re: [Amps] IMD

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] IMD
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 18:12:15 -0500
On 12/29/2011 2:09 PM, richard courtway wrote:
> Have been enjoying and learning from the discussions concerning IMD
> problems with SSB signals and their causes.
>
> Personally am a cw operator - and hear quit a few very wide and
> splattering cw signals .  Thinking that most of this is caused by
> operators trying to get a kw out of a 800 watt rig.  Overdriving - etc.
>
> Am approaching the time when I will have my first amp on line -  and
> wondering if any of you would care to comment on the causes of such
> lousy sounding cw signals.
Hi Dick,

First I'd suggest reading the thread on Linear Amplifier Tuning
...Properly and The folly of using a TX tube beyond its ratings over on
Ham Amps. It gets a bit colorful at times but there are many gems buried
in both threads.

If you look at some of today's amps it's trying to get a KW out of a 500
watt (or less) amp.

Then there is the lack of knowledge on how to set up the particular rig
being used to drive the amp.
Some rigs, and particularly some of the Icoms have a problem with ALC
overshoot which causes spikes on key up for every dot and dash.
If the exciter is clean then there is that problem of trying to get more
out of an amp than it's rated for. Of course there are some amps out
there that are rated for considerably more than the tubes in them, or
they don't have a heavy enough power supply for good regulation.

Tetrodes with their very high gain are a bit more picky about tuning
than many triodes used in grounded grid. Most tetrodes take very little
power for drive which means backing off on the power out of the
transceiver doing the driving. With some this also creates ALC
overshoot.  As has been mentioned in other threads, it would be better
to use an attenuator pad and run the exciter at its rated power in those
cases. Of course triodes are not immune to being driven into non
linearity, but they are less picky about tuning.  You just keep peaking
the tune and load for max output while increasing drive without
exceeding the maximum grid current.

Put a signal that's not the cleanest into a high gain amp and it's a
really good example of a little garbage in and whole lot of garbage out.

We all,or most of us think we have the best rig and amp in the world, or
at least won't admit to having purchased a lemon, so ham reviews
*generally* tend to be more than a bit biased.

I'd read up on the amps you are interested in, then get out the tube
data sheets and compare what the data sheet says and what the amp
manufacturer says. Look at the power supply capabilities as well. I'd
read the ham reviews and then compare a bunch of them for each amp.
Each may be a bit biased, but when all are taken together they should
indicate a general opinion, but still take with a grain of salt.

Ham Amps is also a good place to ask about any particular amp as most on
here are not only strong on opinions and knowledge, many are quite
willing to share their views <:-))  Just do your homework before
starting to ask specific questions.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)