Re: [Amps] tetrode reverse screen grid current

To: Paul Kraemer <elespe@lisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] tetrode reverse screen grid current
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 13:41:25 -0700
Problem is, most electronic regulators are not designed to be both
source and sink capable. That's why it was suggested to add a heavy
bleeder, that tames the regulator circuit by allowing it to deliver
constant current instead of shifting modes.

We used to use 4CX1500B as a screen regulator for a 4CW100,000D pulse
modulator and also for the Burle 4616 RF tetrode. All that was ripped
out in 1994, when we switched to a MOSFET hard switch for screen pulsing
and a heavy bleeder, and got rid of the plate modulation.Before that,
the poor 1500B couldn't drive the desired bleeder value without running
out of steam.