Re: [Amps] Plate modulation from power supply ripple?

To: jim.thom@telus.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate modulation from power supply ripple?
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 07:43:48 -0400 (EDT)
Jim, it is not that simple. The there is about 9000vdc and normal helix
current is less than 5mA.

Right now there is a 12.5K ohm glitch resistor to limit any fault current
but that is not enough to fully protect the tube in case of a flashover.
More R  could be added but then the voltage drop during normal operation
becomes too  much and changes in the helix current screws up the already
marginal
voltage  regulation.

Reducing the amount of filter C would reduce the stored energy but at the
expense of higher ripple voltage. I need to spend some time experimenting
with  the filter C value to see just how low it can be for acceptable 120 Hz
hum on  the carrier.

The thought of less hum level because of linear operation class was new to
me. The filter C design was based on the tube spec showing .08 dB per volt
change in gain. In that scenario 10v of ripple would cause a gain change of
.8  dB. .8 dB is a power difference of 20% which would be very noticeable
if it was  present in the form of hum modulation.

The tube runs class A and is fairly linear but not perfect by any means. It
 is run at maximum power output, around 300 watts at 10.4 GHz . Running the
tube  this way is considered to be in power saturation. That does no damage
to the  tube but is not that great for linearity. We mostly use cw or one
of the digital  modes so linearity is not an issue.

A suggestion was made to use three phase 400Hz voltage derived from three
audio amplifiers to reduce the needed C and that would certainly work..
9000v at  5mA is only 45 watts  Before taking on a major rework like that I
will
do  some homework with existing power supply.

I thought  this was all figured out. Wrong!

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 10/5/2013 4:12:17 A.M. Central Daylight Time,