Re: [Amps] 160M PI network Toroidal Coil

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 160M PI network Toroidal Coil
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 20:53:24 +0000
Peter,

it is interesting to look at the WW2 German radio equipment -
obviously designed pre-1939. The use of ceramics, especially in
capacitors, and iron cores is interesting, to say the least.

I haven't had the chance to look into any such equipment. The only WW2 vintage equipment I have ever gotten my hands on is American.

Nowadays of course I use DDS chips instead of VFOs, so that problem
has been solved<

Has it?

I mean, the problem of frequency stability! Spectral purity is another matter. But DDS chips have been improving a lot in this area, and are already good enough for many uses.

> unless all the spur and noise  powers summed in a 1 MHz
bandwidth are at least - IN THAT 1MHZ- average -110dBc/Hz - from 100Hz away from the frequency. You don't meet the requirements ot the
Radio Regulations.

I'm not even aware of those Radio Regulations. I suppose you mean the British ones? In my country they aren't valid anyway - and I wish there were any at all! What I do is looking at the spectral display, watching both the noise level and the individual strong spurs. As long as I get better than 70dB between the carrier and any specific spur, I consider that good enough for general use. Only for specific applications it makes sense to strive for much cleaner signals.

I have been using the AD9951 in some projects. In receivers that aren't critical, I'm actually using it in the worst possible way: Internal oscillator, with a 20MHz computer crystal, and internal x20 clock multiplier! Even that is still good enough for many uses, such as my 15 band World Receiver for the AM shortwave broadcast bands. It works great and is a pleasure to use. For more critical use, that same chip delivers far better performance when using an external 400MHz clock.

Lots of modern ham transceivers made by the famous brands are using even much more modest DDS chips than this one, to directly generate several internal oscillators. So it can't be that difficult to meet applicable regulations with them!

And I know of no factory made transceiver, for hams or others, made in the last quarter century, that uses a real VFO! Even if the front panel buttons are still labeled "VFO A/B", and the like!

Manfred