Re: [Amps] 160M PI network Toroidal Coil

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 160M PI network Toroidal Coil
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 14:36:16 +0000
Peter, and all,

Actually Manfred, your government has signed up to them! I'm
referring to the International Radio Regulations, published by the
ITU, and signed up to, by all the participants in a World Radio
Conference. Is there not a ban on spark transmitters? That's in the
RR.

I see! What I don't see, is how that would be actually applied in Chile. It's almost impossible for the layman (that is, non-lawyer) to wok his way through the laws here. Typically a law will make reference to dozens of previous laws, to norms, standards, and when you try to look them up, they can't be found! Or those that can be found, in turn refer you to yet other laws and rules, that cannot be found. Often the formulations in the laws are very general, like "the allowable modulation modes will be those defined in the respective standards", but nothings tells which standards are meant, and where to find them. Very often they haven't been defined at the time a law is made, and the law can exist but be inapplicable because for many years the standards aren't written down!

The fact is that in Chile anyone can import any radio, and at least on the ham bands he can use it without requiring any type approval. There is essentially no enforcement of anything on the ham bands. On commercial bands I understand that radios must be type-approved, in principle, but in practice I know of many people using very low quality radios, directly imported via eBay from you-know-where, on commercial frequencies. I seriously doubt that these are able to comply with the ITU standards.

The current ham regulations here do say that they will be applied according to all international treaties and agreements signed by Chile, but gives no additional detail. Nor does it hint at any technical standards for equipment quality.

So, in principle ITU standards are fully valid here, but in practice almost nobody knows them, and so, let's say it this way, their application is entirely voluntary in practice.

It would be very bizarre indeed if an inspector sent by the government showed up at the home of a ham, to fine him because the local oscillator in his radio doesn't meet ITU specs!

Interesting point about iron cores and VFOs. As I recall, the old
Command transmitters were very stable, and they had iron cores in
both the VFO and the PA. But they were magnetically loosely coupled,
unlike toroids.

At least the thermal coefficient of certain magnetic materials is well known and reproducible. So, it's possible to largely compensate for it, in a well done design. But this tends to be complex. For example, compensating for thermal effects in a slug tuned coil depends on how far the slug has been inserted. That requires adjustable compensation, and almost endless fiddling in the lab. It's much better to make VFOs using large size coils on stable formers, without a magnetic core, polystyrene capacitors, air variable capacitors, with a good circuit design (such as Clapp oscillators using JFETs) and then compensate for the small thermal coefficient that remains. Indeed the output of a good VFO is spectrally cleaner than that of even the best DDS, because the latter does have spurs. But the phase noise of a DDS is better, its stability is much better, and it can produce frequencies from zero to some maximum, at constant amplitude. All that without requiring any adjustment, and under very simple microprocessor control. And it can instantly jump to any other frequency, and, and, and...

Tom,

I had a look at the SI570. Looks interesting! Certainly not for every application, but as a local oscillator for simple radios, it does look attractive. I will eventually buy a few to play with them. What I like least is the relatively complex calculation necessary to control it. I usually employ PICs in my projects, and the typical PIC with its 16 bit integer math makes such calculations quite cumbersome and slow. It's OK for occasional frequency changing. But flipping around a tuning knob at a rate of perhaps 1000 steps per second, but certainly overtax the poor PIC and make it get out of step!

Manfred