Re: [Amps] repair of older Command Tech VHF-2000 amp

To: <g8on@fsmail.net>, "Mark Bitterlich" <markbitterlich@embarqmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>, "Louis Parascondola" <gudguyham@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] repair of older Command Tech VHF-2000 amp
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 20:51:14 -0400
A very astute observation Peter.

I dont know the current requirements for various levels of licenses in the UK but over here even a certified retard can pass an Extra as no CW is required and anyone can be trained to memorize enough of the question pool to eventually pass.

Looking at the questions on various forums from recent Extras is enough to make me want to barf and take up drinking!

There are a limited number of success stories of those who can do some troubleshooting and repairs along with those with an electronics backround/education but the continuous dumbing down with ARRL's help is gradually resulting in new CB frequencies and operating styles.

And the ARRL is now pushing for more "Phone" frequencies.

Bah Humbug!

Im getting too old to remember how old I am (-;

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "peter chadwick" <g8on@fsmail.net> To: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>; "Mark Bitterlich" <markbitterlich@embarqmail.com>; <amps@contesting.com>; "Louis Parascondola" <gudguyham@aol.com>
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2013 4:15 PM

Carl,

I am not trying to be rude, but surely

Teflon is very prone to cold flow as are some foam cables.
Neither should be subjected to sharp bends and the manufacturers specs
should be followed.

RG-213/214 type dielectrics are much less prone to cold flow but are very
susceptible to heat flow from the center conductor.

Use of the correct cable and installation procedure for the job usually
works.<

comes under the heading of being 'f*&*^*g obvious' to anyone with any competence who has been a round for more than a few weeks? Or, as we say, 'have got the diaper marks off their backsides'.

Especially when cable manufacturers give minimum bend radii....

Or do you HAVE to be as old as we are to realise this?

73

Peter G3RZP

-----
No virus found in this message.