Re: [Amps] Alpha 76A - 120hz hum on 160m only

To: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 76A - 120hz hum on 160m only
From: Jim Barber <audioguy@q.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 10:12:06 -0700
Thanks, Colin.
Since it's the only one standing, I'm going with your theory.

This isn't a known (or heard of) issue with the design, so I'm going to choose to assume that there's a component failure somewhere that's causing the hum to appear only on 160m.

One possibility might be a cathode-filament short in one of the tubes, but if that were the case I can't see where it would show up only on 160. (I've checked for inter-element shorts with an ohmmeter also)

Shorted turns in the plate choke and possibly the resultant overcurrent
condition in the bypass caps might account for it. I'll inspect the choke, and probably order and replace the bypass caps "just because". I've had the amp for 20+ years, but don't use it much and haven't been active on 160 until fairly recently. It's possible the condition has existed for a long time and I was just blessedly ignorant...

If one or more of the filament bypass caps opened or headed in that direction, I wonder if that could leak drive power back into the filament circuit? I haven't inspected the area under the tube deck yet either.

The above seem to me at least to be most likely, but other suggestions are definitely solicited.

Thanks,
Jim N7CXI