Re: [Amps] UHF Connectors

To: "Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] UHF Connectors
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 07:29:26 -0500
I've given up on the traditional solder-type PL-259s. Now I use the crimp on
type and have never had a failure. The crimper is expensive but well worth
the time and hassle saved. I got both crimper and connectors on eBay. There
are many sizes so be sure you get the right ones.

I started using crimps for indoor installations. Outdoors, I still prefer soldered PL-259s.

All inside cabling is RG-400. The crimps have held up well except for one recent failure: The connector body had separated from the ground sleeve end that's inserted onto the braid. What's strange is that since the crimp is still strong and intact, the connector looks fine to the eye -- but the body now rotates when the sleeve is held firm. These are high-quality crimped connectors from Amphenol.

The crimp worked so well that the connector is actually usable until I cut it down and install a new connector. Not sure how this happened. The PL-259 is installed on the back of a transceiver and because it's protected in a deep compartment, there's little chance that it could.have bumped into something and broken that way.

Paul, W9AC