Re: [Amps] Building an Amp 101

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Building an Amp 101
From: peter chadwick <g8on@fsmail.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 17:07:26 +0100
After doing some simple calculations, I think you only need 6 positions on the
tank switch. 160, 80, 40, 30/20, 17/15, 12/10. The Acom 1500 uses 7 positions
as 160, 80, 40/30, 20, 17/15, 12/10, 6. But leave out 6 and the difference is
between using 40/30 or 30/20.

The problem comes with switching input circuits in GG, but if you motorise the
PA bandswitch, that's no real problem. The ex TU unit switches (TUs for the
BC191) are cheap ($5.95) from Fair Radio Sales (catalogue 3Z9605) and with some
cunning, they can be ganged - there was a 'how to' article many years ago in
CQ. A big Ledex or a stepper motor could do it. I don't know their rating but
it has to be big. However, they are not progressively shorting, but you could
still short out the bit of coil you're not using.

I ought to go out to the workshop and see what volts they flash over at....

73

Peter G3RZP