[Amps] FW: FW: Air temps leaving the amp.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] FW: FW: Air temps leaving the amp.
From: "Matt" <maflukey@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 22:55:43 -0600
Thanks Carl,

Yes - 8877 (not 8873) and yes I was using slang (heater) when referring to
the filament.

There was another post I read regarding actual seal temperature using color
sticks, which is really what we are interested in.   At the risk of boredom
(grin), it may also be of some added interest that while proportioning the
forced airflow to the power dissipation is valid (because of conservation of
energy), it is probably not valid with respect to the assumption that the
tube seal temperature remains constant in the process.  This is  because the
convective heat transfer coefficient (h-value) is a mild function of the air
velocity (Reynolds #) over the cooled surface, and h-value decreases with
lower air velocity.  This in turn means that the surface actually runs
hotter at lower velocities, when power and airflow are both lowered in
equivalent proportions (which satisfies conservation of energy).   By "mild
function", h-value has often been shown empirically to be proportional to
airflow raised to some power well less than unity.   Since the theoretical
evaluation of h-value is difficult for complex geometries, it is frequently
determined by experimentation.  If the relationship for the tube is assumed
proportional to Re^.5 (square root of airflow), then the surface temperature
rise for such a large reduction in airflow as 3:1 (as in the case examined)
might mean that seal temperature rise almost doubles (x 1.74) at the
limiting power case with this airflow reduction - which is not good.   The
actual limiting power would therefore not necessarily be proportional to the
reduction in airflow, but perhaps more accurately be proportional to the
reduction in airflow raised to something like the 1.5 power - at least under
continuous dissipation.   And that leads to another consideration - what is
the transient temperature response of the seal temperature with respect to
the thermal mass of the tube itself?  Probably much more valid, and more
reliable to get an indication of the actual seal temperature as the post
suggested.

Would be interesting to talk to one of the tube engineers as to how they
evaluate this in R&D...

Matt
KM5VI