Re: [Amps] Alpha 76 question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 76 question
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 00:41:41 +0000
Ted,

> My Alpha 76 periodically "snaps" loudly (arcs?) when idling...maybe
> every 20-30 minutes.  Any ideas what this may be?

I don't know anything specific about that Alpha, but I have seen this kind of arcing at regular intervals when there is a simple power supply that has no bleeder and no load on it. There are very often lots of very narrow but tall spikes riding on the power line. When there is no load at all on a power supply, these will slowly charge the filter capacitor to such an overvoltage that something arcs.

So I would suggest to check all bleeder resistors, first of all.

Manfred