[Amps] Drake L4B to 6 Meters Help

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Drake L4B to 6 Meters Help
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 10:25:11 -0800
You don't say your modulation mode. (CW - FM or SSB whatever that is)
   I'm no expert, but you are achieving 50% efficiency, that doesn't
sound bad to me for 6 meters, to get more power out you need more
power in.
   I would double the plate Voltage.  That increases efficiency.
--
   Ron  KA4INM

##  Mode had nothing to do with it.    Increasing B+ does not increase eff.
Increasing B+ to the max typ results in a higher plate load Z..which is the last
thing you want on a 6m amp...esp one with low eff. .

##  I would not run the L4B  with oem zero bias either. The resulting idle
current
is way too high. 220-230 ma.   You can knock the idle current down to 100 ma,
when on high B+ position, with just 8 x diodes in the CT.   Which will also
result in
40 ma when on low B+ position.   And nobody will complain about IMD in either
position.

##  I installed a miniature  SPDT-center off toggle switch on the lower rear
apron
on my L4Bs.   Then I can get 3 stages of bias.  Center off gets all 8 diodes.
The other
2 positions will get 2 more, tapped at 3 and 7 diodes.   The eimac 3-500z is a
lower mu
tube MU=130  vs the MU-200  of a 3-400Z  and other brands of  3-500zs. The
higher the
MU, the lower the idle current.   If you really want to go crazy, install a
miniature rotary switch,
and tap every diode.   4-400s  will idle at a lower idle current.

##   IF the tubes are good, he should be able to get 800 ma of plate current,
but  will require
100-120 watts of drive.

##  His is now a 6M monoband amp, with everything optimized for 6m.   I would
check the slug
if a bird  or CD wattmeter used.  Dont trust the drake internal wattmeter..esp
on 6m.

Jim   VE7RF