Re: [Amps] SB200 on 30 M

To: "ka4inm@gmail.com" <ka4inm@gmail.com>, amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB200 on 30 M
From: Glen Zook via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 20:14:22 +0000 (UTC)
You are confusing the power restrictions for the 60-meter band which are now
100-watts effective radiated power with the restrictions for the 30-meter band
in the areas controlled by the Federal Communications Commission.  The rules
state 200-peak watts out of the transmitter and NOT effective radiated power.
Just like on the other bands except the new LF bands that also have effective
radiated power restrictions, you can gain all the effective power that you can
in the antenna.  And, unfortunately, if your antenna system has a negative
gain, you cannot make up for this by increasing the power out of the
transmitter (including any external amplifier).  There are a number of
different antenna designs that do exhibit a loss over the "normal" dipole which
the FCC considers to be the zero (0) point at which effective power is
calculated.

 Glen, K9STH