Re: [Amps] Alpha 87 (not 87A)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 87 (not 87A)
From: Steve Wright <stevewrightnz@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 06:44:32 +1300
On 08/11/17 06:30, Jim Thomson wrote:
Typ, you pulse tune the amp up for max power out.... then increase the loading
slightly,  till power output drops 2%.   He found that if the loading was
further increased, such that power out dropped  5 to 10%, spurs and harmonics
dropped  another 20 to 40 db.   He measured it all on his spectrum analyzer.
Point here is, the actual  2-3-4-5-6-7 th harmonic suppression was greatly
influenced   by the loading control.

That isn't the final story of course.  What is the radiation efficiency of the antenna on these harmonics?

People seem to visualise all this heinous crap coming out of their antenna and taking away everyones' rights, but I challenge any person to furnish any sort of valid complaint regarding any harmonic.  And I mean a COMPLAINT, not someone three doors down being able to detect your 3F.

I'm not against over-loading that tuneup - I do it habitually.  I'm against publicly and repeatedly trotting out the same old notion that we are a liability, and the ongoing campaign of clear-airwaves self-flagellation that seems to be ever-present.