Re: [Amps] QRO 2500DX MARK lll 4CX800 / triodes vs tetrodes

To: "'Jim Thomson'" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] QRO 2500DX MARK lll 4CX800 / triodes vs tetrodes
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2019 22:10:56 +1030
All good points you make here Jim on which I concur with.  I agree SDR rigs
are not yet prime time and certainly not well suited to out of the box
appliance operator hams. They are more for technically savvy hams who can
take say a current generation OEM Orion Mk2 board from Apache-Labs and
successfully integrate it into a homebrew SDR exciter equivalent of a
turn-key ANAN 7000/8000DLE rig.  However the earlier generation and now low
cost ANAN 100 and 200 rigs are also amenable to Pure Signal operation with
the appropriate software upgrades like PowerSDR mRX PS v3.4.9 that supports
this neat adaptive pre-distortion system IMD cancellation mode.

I like simple input circuitry swamped grid-driven AB1 tetrodes because of
their high power gain; you only need to tickle the grid with a few watts
drive to comfortably get over the 400W limit here in VK or around 10 Watts
to achieve well over 1 kW. This modest drive level of course matches very
well with a 500 mW SDR exciter in combination with a very linear Class-A
output driver stage to get up to circa 10 W PEP.

The high-mu G-G triodes like the 8877 or 3CX3000 are good choices when you
already have 100W+ of drive available from a good high performance
transceiver rig having a (rare to find) low IMD clean final PA stage. The
bigger tubes need an IPA to achieve enough drive power..it really boils down
to swings and roundabouts and the old adage of different horses for
different courses argument.

Leigh

VK5KLT