[Amps] Weakness of first two letters of call signs

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Weakness of first two letters of call signs
From: "Jeff in Mali: via Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 10:24:19 +0000 (UTC)
In my pileups, I find that people often send their call signs only one time.
Most call signs are of the form XX#YY or XX#YYY. By the time their sending gets
to the #, their signal is strong enough so that I can copy the rest of the
call.
i am wondering if it is a common property of amplifiers that they take a finite
time to reach full power and that as people send their call sign, the first
couple of letters are being transmitted at less than full power?
Do people in the group have any experience with this phenomenon, or is it just
my imagination?
I try to get people to send their call 3 times (QSZ 3), but someone has
convinced a lot of operators that once is enough.
73,
Jeff TZ4AM