Re: [Amps] Weakness of first two letters of call signs

To: "hzp_electronics@juno.com" <hzp_electronics@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Weakness of first two letters of call signs
From: MU 4CX250B <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 09:50:46 -0700
Flex transceivers have an interesting way of compensating for
amplifiers with slow T/R switching. As with other transceivers, one
sets a delay time to allow the amplifier relays to close. With Flex
transceivers, however, the operator can start sending (CW in this
case) immediately. The transceiver digitally delays the CW until the
amplifier delay is reached, and then sends it to the amplifier, so
that there is never any clipping of the first dot.

I noticed one day when I was setting the amp delay to 20mS , I
accidentally typed in 2000 mS. When I sent “CQ de W8ZR” I heard the
normal sidetone, but at first nothing else seemed to happen. Then
after two seconds, the amp came to life and the Flex transmitted the
delayed  message. I could copy the delayed signal on a separate
receiver.  It was an odd experience. I didn’t try this on SSB because
I didn’t have a microphone, but if any Flex owners read this, give it
a try on SSB or AM and see what happens.
73,
Jim w8zr
Sent from my iPhone