160 Contests

Subject: 160 Contests
From: W2CRS@aol.com (W2CRS@aol.com)
Date: Wed Feb 28 12:50:48 1996
Hi Dave,

My basic feeling about contest rules is based on the well known observation,

"the grass always looks greener on the other side."  As someone with a bent
for eastern philosophy recently said on this reflector (I think), in effect,
to be happy, one learns to want what one already has!  My interpretation of
this is:  the grass is greener on my side!
Changes almost always involve what some will consider negatives and others
will consider positives. My interpretation: most changes make the contest
neither better nor worse, just different (perhaps worse in a minor way- the
contest results are not comparable from year to year).

In the free market of ideas (and contest formats) the contests with unpopular
rules will eventually die out being replaced by contests with more popular
rules so I am against  new contest formats. (Of course, we may die first and
therefore not want to wait for "market" results).

The most frequently heard reason for changing contest rules is to create "a
level playing field."  I condider this a noble, but impossible goal, and
would prefer any rule changes that make a contest more fun.  Since many of us
have expressed an interest in attracting younger ops to contesting, I
suggest, we ask them what would make a contest more fun (while realizing they
may not have the perspective to give an adequate answer).

As to Dave's specific suggestions-
1 Each 160M contest to last from "local dawn to dusk" not from 'x' hours Zulu

Yes, but what if you work some rare DX at 3 minutes past your sunrise.
 Anyway, for reasons imposed by mother nature it is already pretty much a
dawn to dusk contest.

2 Points based upon radial measurement from stations QTH.

This is a popular format for VHF contests in Europe, I believe, and would
probably require exchanging grid squares.  Using grid squares, a contest
software program could easily implement this format.  I think it would make
the contest more fun.

3 Band split into 3, .....non participants....US EAST + US West.....DX....

Hmm, this is an interesting one.  In theory it would solve some proplems.  In
practice it would create others, especially during the early part of the
learning curve.

4 DX to US qsos can only be between windows ie split freq only.

same as #3

5 Each organiser must appoint someone who's job is to tune the band logging
infringements. Disqualification rewards bad operating behaviour.

Do you mean, "Disqualification rewards good operating behavior"?  I'm against
radio police.  I think education and peer pressure is the very best way to
promote good operating behavior and discourage bad behavior such as calling
CQ in the DX window.  This past weekend I did not call any W/VE stations
calling CQ in the window though it cost me a few contacts.

6 QSO must include serial number, lets reintroduce some skill into the qso

How about the grid (see #2 above).

73,  Doug W2CRS/0