Station Ergonomics

Subject: Station Ergonomics
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat Mar 23 08:56:22 1996
> The most pertinent question is what shape should the operating desk be?
Straight, >L-shaped (L on left or right or depends on handedness), U-shaped,
something else? >What about desk height? Should it be normal desk height or
somewhat lower so
>that the keyboard is at a comfortable height.

Hiya, Rick --
   Good question; it should generate a lot of responses.   IMHO:
   Operating table:  My suggestion is a long table.  The reason is that you
can spread out the various equipment while grouping it for application (i.e.,
left to right -- HF rig 1, HF rig 2, VHF rig 1, VHF rig #2, etc.)  That way
all you have to do is move a little bit to get to the second/backup setup.
  If you ever want to operate multi-op, the long table is the only one that
will allow other ops access to the gear during a multi-op effort.
   Things you use frequently (radio, etc.) should be on the desk; reaching up
to tune a radio for 48 hours is really unworkable.  Things you don't use as
often (amps, rotor control boxes, antenna switches, etc.) can be mounted
above the radios for quick access.  I prefer the monitor right in front of me
so I don't get a stiff neck after the weekend.
   Desk height should be 31".  Keyboard height, on the other hand, should be
29".  These are the standard heights from office and computer furniture
manufacturers.  Having a keyboard at 31" desk height is very tiring on the
wrists over a period of time.  The keyboard shelves that pull out can be
handy under the desk but may put the radio and other things you have to reach
a little too far away from you.
73 and good luck,   Steve   K7LXC

From: Bruce Lallathin <aa8u@voyager.net> (Bruce Lallathin)
Subject: Climbing Belts

At 09:19 AM 3/23/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi Bruce.....John, WA0VQR, here....Saw your posting to the Contest Reflector
>re: friend's accident w/ old climbing belt....I use an old leather belt and
>would appreciate if you would pass along what happened/failed in your friends
>case....I always "test" the belt at low levels by leaning hard on the belt to
>make sure the rivets are holding...Anything else I should do??
>Thanks!,  John

Well, I know my friend Craig (WB8OHO) was a careful person..... As I
understand it, the leather strap parted. Craig was not a small person, but
this type of failure could happen with any one of us given the right
conditions.

My advice is to purchase a NEW professional style climbing belt with all
heavy duty hardware. Don't depend on leather or rope straps. A new Klien
belt is about as good as you can get, won't put you in the poor house, and
is a very comfortable belt to use on extended climbs.

73,
Bruce
AA8U