Station Ergonomics

Subject: Station Ergonomics
From: KWIDELITZ@delphi.com (KWIDELITZ@delphi.com)
Date: Sat Mar 23 15:07:41 1996
Hi Rick,

One thing that I feel is VERY important to your planning is rear access. I
have an L shaped configuration. I wound up putting in an access closet
behind the right side of the L so I can get behind all the equipment easily
(I'm left handed so the transceivers on on my right.) The closet took out a
piece of the XYL's office, but she got credit for a major birthday present.
My shack is in the garage that has been converted to an office suite. I work
out of the shack (or ham out of the office.) I have removable panels that
are recessed 2" from the wall behind the L. That allows cables to drop from
the desktop level without having to look into an ugly closet. I have shelves
above the desktop level for the amps and tuners. Those cables run behind the
removable panels so they are not visable, but are easily accessable.

I have my tabletop at 29", which is pretty standard desktop height. I found
my forearms got sore after hours of contesting, so I modified football
forearm pads, which are held in place with velcro. Problem solved.

I built the station around the computer, as my hands are on the keyboard
and eyes on the monitor more than on the radio knobs and readouts. The
transceivers are just a few inches away to the right and sit where the L
makes its intersection.

I also recommend drilling 3" access holes every few feet along the rear of
the L so cables can be dropped below the desktop. I believe cables should be
used but not seen. The only cables visable from the front of my station are
the mic and headphone plugs as they enter the transceivers.

73. Ken, AB6FO, KWIDELITZ@DELPHI.COM