[CQ-Contest] Various soapbox...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Various soapbox...
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale Martin)
Date: Fri Nov 7 23:35:24 1997
On Friday, November 07, 1997 5:17 AM, Doug Smith[SMTP:desmith@Telalink.Net]
wrote:

>QRP ops: please be more confident about the power of your signals!  Q
>category stations were much more likely than others to send their exchanges
>twice on the first try.  But it was usually unnecessary & a waste of time --
>most QRP ops were easy copy, with many of them louder than many A-power
>stations.  Especially with the long exchange in SS, it's best to only repeat
>something if you're asked to repeat it.
>
>73 Doug

Good point, Doug.

And when asked to repeat anything, say/send it only
once.  If another repeat is necessary, the operator will
ask for it.

I have always felt that you could tell the stations, QRP
or QRO who felt they had poor signals: they send
everything two or three times without being asked to do so.
I guess they've been asked for repeats so often they
just repeat out of hand.

During SS CW, I got a lot of requests for repeat of my
Check (59) and section (STX).  Apparently, the space
between was not adequate.  A few hours into the contest,
I edited the fields adding a half-space.  That seemed to
cure the requests for repeats of my check/section.

QRO(A and B) Ops:
When working a QRP station, it is not necessary to send
everything twice simply because the QRP station is weak
--I actually had a couple of stations do that to me.

73,

Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u