[CQ-Contest] Re: Practice of sending "?" and S&P techniques

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Practice of sending "?" and S&P techniques
From: becker@SPRINTMAIL.COM (Tony and Celia Becker)
Date: Sat Nov 8 09:13:58 1997
Hi All!

At 12:15 AM 11/8/97 -0500, "Tim Totten, N4GN" <n4gn@iglou.com> wrote:
>If I'm in S&P mode and tune across something like ". . . 4UYU SS", I
>simply enter "4UYU" in the call window.  TR Log . . . uh, make that RAT
>Log, instantly does a partial call check, and if I don't see a red call
>with a matching partial at the bottom of my screen, I hit <Enter> to dump
>my call in.

I have come to prefer N6TR's program for both search and pounce and CQing.  Add
to Tim's comment the slick way the band map puts the dupes callsign and
exchange into the call window as you tune across them with the SHIFT keys, and
the way even a busted call shows up as a red call sign in the "partial calls"
window, and it us usually immediately apparent whether he is a dupe or not.  At
this point it is easier to just hit the SHIFT key again to keep on tuning the
band than it is to stretch that little pinky 'way up to the function key to
send a "?" anyway.

>The really annoying case is when I end a CQ and hear one very weak station
>calling me, along with a very loud "?" from someone else, blocking the
>weaker stn.  Then I'm usually forced to send something like "DE N4GN QRZ?"
>(I don't want to CQ in the face of the weak guy, causing him to give up.)

Operating the Sprints with my home station's low dipoles and low power has
forced me to become much more efficient at S&P as well given me a moral
justification for the time it takes to dig out those weak QRP callers when I
CQ.  Assuming I can copy a partial call from both stations, I send "XYZ QRX,
ABC 5903" (or let the DVP do it) to work the loud station a quickly as possible
and focus on copying the info without fills, then use the TAIL END KEY to
immediately work the other station.

My attitude on working zero point QSO has also been affected by the slick way
N6TR's program works.  I now just try to work the loud ones as fast as
possible.  It keeps the frequency active and helps insure that station will be
there to give me a QSO in the domestic contests too.  If he is weak and I will
need fills, I have to think about it and make a choice.

Teamwork between the vendor and users has produced superior results across many
different combinations of radios, entry classes and system configurations for
this application.  As I scan their reflector traffic I detect an increase in
the rate of development for both NA and even CT.   Isn't competition fun?

73

AE0M, Tony Becker - becker@sprintmail.com - Silicon Valley, USA