[CQ-Contest] Wireless headphones/mike

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Wireless headphones/mike
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Wed Dec 10 03:33:38 1997
Years ago, when I was in TV Operations at work, one of the astronauts
(KB5AWP--Ken Cameron) asked if we could put together a wireless (infrared?)
headphone system with a VCR and Monitor so they hear their training videos
while they worked out on their treadmills, exercycles, etc.--believe it!
I've seen some of those videos....most of them  not "entertainment".
I had my contractor buy a pair of Radio Shack infrared headphones
to evaluate.

I even took them out the club station (W5RRR) and tried it out at
the IC-781 operating position.  It worked pretty well with a couple of
exceptions. .

The IR headphones have been in service in the astronaut gym for at
least 8 years now.  The only problems with them is that if there is not
a lot of reflective metallic surfaces the pickup of the headphone IR
detectors could be zonal--nulls when turning one's head in certain
directions.  The second problem was that the gym manager had to
keep a good stock of batteries on hand--not only from normal-use
consumption, but also from being left on when not in use.

As far as IR headphones and an IR (or RF) mic, the battery
consumption might be more than one would like or would want to
tolerate.  But, with the freedom of movement such a system would
provide, it might be worth it.

73,
Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org