[CQ-Contest] UBN solutions USA/USA QSO's

Subject: [CQ-Contest] UBN solutions USA/USA QSO's
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Wed Mar 18 08:44:15 1998
On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Dale Jones K5MM wrote:

>  Re:  Suggestion for a solution to BIG GUN W's not logging other W's,
>       and being called a lid for not doing so.
>       See AA4GA's note below, which is preceeded by a K7FR posting.
>
>  Isn't it interesting that AA4GA's suggestion for a solution to the
>  US Big Guns not logging US callers in CQ-WW (for zone Credit) is to
>  PENALIZE the other guy (The BIG GUN in his example).  What a bunch
>  of B.S.  To penalize the US opetator for not logging another US
>  operator will drive him to NOT WORK ANY other US station.  In a
>  "carrot and stick" incentive program, sticks obviously don't work
>  very well in an optional/hobby activity like ham radio contesting.

My two cents, FWIW: My solution is simple - if I work him, I log him.  If
I don't want to log him, I don't work him.  Even if it turns out to be a
dupe, I still log it, as it may turn out not to be a dupe in fact.

>  I sure wouldn't like to be at W7RM, W3LPL, K3LR, N2RM, or W5UN
>  being hounded by a bunch of USA guys calling me in a DX contest--and
>  most of those smaller signal guys don't even turn a log in for
>  adjudication.

Maybe not, but Murphy's 4th Law states that they for sure will be sending
you QSL's, direct, complete with SASE's! (I know from experience.)

>  Without defending the Big Gun for not logging you, trying to figure out
>  some penalty for him not doing so doesn't cut it.  That'll just drive
>  him away.

I'll agree with that.  But remember the days when you legally had to log
EVERYTHING - even when you called someone and didn't work him? We could

>  73
>  Dale  K5MM

73, Zack W9SZ