[CQ-Contest] UBN solutions USA/USA QSO's

Subject: [CQ-Contest] UBN solutions USA/USA QSO's
From: ddjones@nas.com (Dale Jones K5MM)
Date: Tue Mar 17 20:52:56 1998

 Re:  Suggestion for a solution to BIG GUN W's not logging other W's,
      and being called a lid for not doing so.
      See AA4GA's note below, which is preceeded by a K7FR posting.

 Isn't it interesting that AA4GA's suggestion for a solution to the
 US Big Guns not logging US callers in CQ-WW (for zone Credit) is to
 PENALIZE the other guy (The BIG GUN in his example).  What a bunch
 of B.S.  To penalize the US opetator for not logging another US
 operator will drive him to NOT WORK ANY other US station.  In a
 "carrot and stick" incentive program, sticks obviously don't work
 very well in an optional/hobby activity like ham radio contesting.

 It would certainly be "progressive" to consider a positive solution
 FIRST, as Gary K7FR suggested in his posting.  All 40 CQ zones in the
 world is available to every American ham to work WITHOUT working ONE
 other American-based call sign.

 When a contest provides for any points to be earned by a US station
 for working other US guys, you will have a defacto Sweepstakes .....
 all the peanut whistles calling the Big Signal guys, and thereby
 preventing the Big Guys from working more DX stations.  So, I do not
 agree with Gary K7FR's suggestion of providing for points to be earned
 by US guys working other US guys, but do like his idea of a positive
 (encouraging) solution suggestion.

 I sure wouldn't like to be at W7RM, W3LPL, K3LR, N2RM, or W5UN
 being hounded by a bunch of USA guys calling me in a DX contest--and
 most of those smaller signal guys don't even turn a log in for
 adjudication.

 Many would agree that a solution is to make ALL CONTACTS with others in
 your own country NOT COUNT, for any reason.  Now, that ought to thrill
 a few guys in Africa, Asia and a couple of other countries where they
 may be the only station operating in that entire Zone (Zone 34, 23, etc).
 There may be other 'positive' suggestions too, It will be interested
 to see what others have to say.

 Without defending the Big Gun for not logging you, trying to figure out
 some penalty for him not doing so doesn't cut it.  That'll just drive
 him away.

 73
 Dale  K5MM
        Posting by Gary, K7FR-----------

At 02:07 AM 3/18/98 +0000, you wrote:
>On 17 Mar 98, Gary A. Nieborsky PE wrote:
>
>> I won't embarass myself by posting the entire UBN Report.  I do feel
>> compelled to list those W's that didn't have me in their log and cost me a
>> zone or two.
>>
>> W7RM
>> K3LR
>> W5UN
>> W4PRO
>>
>> I will not editorialize on these since I'm quite sure my skirts are not
>> clean on this issue either.
>>
>> Let's make some change that will encourage the logging of W's by W's.
>>The change doesn't have to give W's some overly great bonus that turns
>>CQWW into SS with DX but it does need to count for something other
>>than zero.  How about 0.5 points for all after the initial zone mult?
      Posting by AA4GA...........