[CQ-Contest] CQ-WPX..A Modest Proposal

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ-WPX..A Modest Proposal
From: k2av@qsl.net (Guy L. Olinger)
Date: Thu Apr 2 13:36:15 1998
lew@teleport.com wrote:

> Ladies & Gentlemen of the contesting Community,
>     I propose moving the time limit for S/O for the CQ-WPX back to 30 or
> even 28 hours, from the recently extended 36 hours. Why, you query??? Well
> to save it.
   ^^^^^^^^^^
Just my opinion, of course, but...

I think not. The wall to wall signals I hear are not the whimpering last
gasps of a dying contest. The WPX strategizing at the PVRC/NC chapter
meetings are not over a dying contest.

Nuthin, but nuthin will eliminate the advantage the East Coast has to
EU. As I recall, was rumored that W6VSS was running 10 KW on  20 meters
& got caught by the FCC.  This was quite a while ago (25 years?).
Interesting to note that it didn't equalize the diff. There might be a
way to fix a few things all at one time.

For bragging rights, scores listed by zone.

New exchange:   NNNN/ZZ    NNNN is serial. ZZ is zone.  (Drop the
meaningless 59)

Scoring rules: same zone or same country:              1 point
                    else geographically adjacent zone:    3 points
                    else same continent:                        5 points
                    else different continent:                   7 points

Note that this reduces the east coast advantage to western EU since
zones 5 and 14 are adjacent.
West Coast & mid-america gets 7 points for those. This will give Eastern
EU a help out over West EU for the same  reason.

Times band multiplier, which need not be an integer, suggest:

                    160     3
                      80     2.5
                      40     2
                      20     1
                      15      1
                      10     2

These could be adjusted yearly based on expected propagation, for
instance 3 years ago, 10 meters could have been a times 5 and 15 meters
a times 3.

Just my strange thoughts. I could be mistaken.

Where's my flame retardant zip suit and face guard...

73, all.    Guy.

--
Guy L. Olinger
Apex, NC, USA

'AV since '74, previously K4VDL, K3FKJ, W2HVA.
(Remember those? Get in touch!)