[CQ-Contest] CQ-WPX..A Modest Proposal

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ-WPX..A Modest Proposal
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher, W4AN)
Date: Fri Apr 3 22:06:52 1998
>> I have found over the years that contesting can be much more fun and
>> interesting if I compete with myself.

>So, bring on the changes, CQ.  There's many of us out here will participate
>whether its 3 hours or 103, and we'll have fun doing it!

Radio contesting is a sport of competition.  In general, it attracts people
who are competitively motivated.  Pushing yourself to personal goals is
terrific and can't be over emphasized.   However, I think most people on
this list are involved with this sport to compete against someone else.

I salute Lew and others who have the desire to compete with stations from
all over the USA and not just with stations in their geographic area.  I
share their desire.  By limiting the WPX competition to 24 hours, you are
essentially giving Lew and everyone else the OPPORTUNITY to compete
nationally.  The current system is like having a home run hitting contest
where the guy from the east coast gets 36 pitches to hit and the guy on the
west coast gets 24.

I WANT MORE COMPETITION, NOT LESS!!!    I love knocking on the door of the
W1-2-3 dominance, and I'm sure not afraid to give the boys out west a run
for their money too.  Give us a 24 hour competition and let's see who can
build and operate a radio station, and not a competition of who has the
most hours of runnable time on the bands.  I can run a computer program to
tell you who wins that competition.

73

Bill

Bill Fisher, W4AN (EX KM9P)