[CQ-Contest] Multi-Op in NAQP

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Multi-Op in NAQP
From: no6x@inreach.com (Mike Nash, NO6X)
Date: Sun Dec 20 01:12:58 1998
I realize I am a couple days late on this one but here goes.

>I've been thinking about joining up with some friends in the January NA QSO
>Party to operate as a multi entry. But when I looked over the rules and
>thought about it some more I realized that I had some questions, which I
>hope can be answered here.

Best to get questions answered now then after the contest starts.

>1. Pretty basic first question, what's the strategy for operating with two
>stations? Running and picking up mults, or just trying to run on two
>different bands?

Well what we did in January when we won the thing as a M/2. Not knowing any
better we decided to start with one guy on 10 and one on 15, when 10 dies I
went to 20, when 15 died he went to 40. When 20 died I went to 80 and the
guy on 40 would go and work a little on 160 when the times were right.
It was the first time we had ever operated in any catagory other than MS,
and it worked out just fine.

>2. If you keep a separate log for each station (xcvr) as required by the
>rules, how do you dupe check if station 1 later operates on a band that
>station 2 was on earlier? Or is each xcvr confined to a specific band(s)?

One xcvr on 10/15/80 and one on 15/40/160. Not how it has to be done, just
how we did it.

>3. Do people use more than two xcvrs, but then only transmit from two at
>any given time?

Not us, neither one of us has the ability to do it, I have tried it and
splattered my brain in about 4 hours.

>Sorry to sound so dull here, but I'd like to try to do things right...

The right way is to just get on and do it. We just happened to do that, got
lucky, and won! Not bad for 2 hours of preparation.
Try it, maybe you will get lucky like we did.

GL
Mike...NO6X
NM6Q in the contests