[CQ-Contest] Log checking--report of collateral damage?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Log checking--report of collateral damage?
From: trey@kkn.net (Trey Garlough)
Date: Tue Mar 9 15:13:50 1999
> > W2CE says:
> >
> > > This procedure and aggressiveness goes wrong in my eyes when I watch
> > > many people, including ARRL officials, using packet and claiming SO.
> >
> > Facts, man, facts!?
> >
> > Stop keeping us in suspense...
> >
> > 73, J.P. W2XX
>

> Plain and simple JP,
>
> Just ask Billy Lunt for copies of the first 3 years SS packet violators
> I sent him. They were even broken down into requesting section info,

It's no longer Billy Lunt's watch.  It's Dan Henderson's watch, and
he's getting heaps of support from his manager, Bill Kennamer.  That
was then.  This is now.

N6TR identified a problem in how the ARRL handled log checking in the
Sweepstakes, which on occasion even yielded *unfair* results.  So
rather than complaining about it, he did something about it, and the
result is a much fairer system.  N1ND and K5FUV are responsible for
the environment at HQ that makes this possible, and the contest
community is just now beginning to see the results of Tree's solution
to this problem.

You have identified a completely different problem, interesting and
complex, which also yields unfair results.  Give N1ND and K5FUV a
call.  I'm looking forward to seeing the results of *your* solution to
this equally difficult and important problem.

--Trey, N5KO