[CQ-Contest] SS log checking..a final word

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SS log checking..a final word
From: K5GA@aol.com (K5GA@aol.com)
Date: Wed Mar 10 00:05:31 1999
Thanks for all the comments and flames sent my way.

I don't think many read accurately the first paragraph of my original email. I
respect the log checking that has been instituted. However, I feel the 3 Q
penalty is too much considering a busted call. When you log hundreds of calls,
a missing dit etc is going to happen due to QRM and fading. To lose 3 Qs is
too harsh. I lost 3 Qs because of some frigging idiot who couldn't send his
call right 2 times in a row. Tree and I both worked this clown and logged the
same callsign. Then, what about the situation that you send the call as you
heard it, and the guy doesn't correct you..... This penalty should be 1 Q lost
just like for other erroneous info.

Concerning the masses and loss of participation by the casual operator, I
merely was pointing out the "possible" pitfalls. Time will tell if I am right
or not.

Now, for the biggie, what I find AMAZING is that only a couple of you people
out there responded to my suggestion about emailing logs within 2 hours of the
end of the contest if you wanted to compete for Top 10. I think the SILENCE
speaks a thousand words. What's wrong ? If you all are 100% behind this
checking, then you all shouldn't have a problem with this 2 hour rule.
Unreal...........I can assure you, my log will be emailed IMMEDIATELY at the
end. It will be interesting too see how many do the same.

In conclusion, with databases showing checks and sections, and with more and
more people taping and editing, I personally get a bad feeling about all this.
What probably makes me feel this way is knowing of a situation in the past
where cheating occured.  Out and out cheating by a Top 5 competitor. It's hard
to forget.

Enough said.

73

Bill   K5GA