[CQ-Contest] Re:WPX results vs. SM2EKM

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re:WPX results vs. SM2EKM
From: andrew@gi0nwg.freeserve.co.uk (andrew)
Date: Tue Mar 30 22:01:28 1999
In message <37012461.D7D03DB9@mindspring.com>, Edward W. Sleight
<k4sb@mindspring.com> writes

>Sounds good to me. But I think we should level the playing surface a
>little more.

OK, fine.

>As I remember, Europe has 67 countries, plus a couple of
>the new ones.

What's that got to do with WPX.  Countries don't count.  PREFIXES do.
And trust me, the U.S. has a LOT of prefixes to work.  It's gotta have
as many (if not more) prefixes than Europe.  And if you use the same
scoring system as I outlined in my previous mail, you will be getting
the same points and probably the same mults as anybody in Europe.
Sounds pretty level to me.

>Africa is probably 500 or so miles from the most northern. (just a
>guess )

North Africa to Northern Norway is about 2500 miles.

>And no more than a 1000 miles from deep Asia.

Northern Ireland to the closest part of Asia is also about 2500 miles.
Canada is nearly as close (about 3000 miles)!

>Which also brings up the point that Europe, by definition, is not a
>continent, but part of Asia. ( a continent must be seperated by
>oceans )

So what does that make North America?  Isn't it then part of South
America?  It's only 'separated' by the Panama Canal.... not an ocean.
And I suppose Africa is part of Asia too?  After all, it isn't separated
by an ocean either.

I agree North America gets a raw deal in CQWW (not WPX) when it comes to
multipliers, BUT they get double points for same-continent contacts.
NOBODY else gets those.  With anomalies in the rules like that it is
impossible to compare one continent with another.  By all means break
the U.S. into ten call areas, or better still 48 States, it will give me
more mults to work.  But to compensate, give inter-continent contacts
the same points as everybody else in the world gets, one not two.

Andrew Williamson GI0NWG / AC6WI
Homepage = http://www.gi0nwg.freeserve.co.uk/

One of the ZL9CI gang
http://www.qsl.net/zl9ci/