[CQ-Contest] Re: Choice of CW Narrow filters

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Choice of CW Narrow filters
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Wed May 12 15:21:19 1999
On Wed, 12 May 1999, Fred Laun K3ZO wrote:

> "If you had to move the dial to tell me it was in use, then it wasn't",
and
> I mean it!
> 73, Fred

Hi Fred,

The one thing that I found to be tremendously different the two times that
I operated from up your way was how easy it was to get a frequency and
hold a frequency.  I recall not ever having a problem getting a frequency.
I would never look up above 14.175Mhz.  I just found a frequency in that
1KC-clear zone you are talking about and start CQing.  Within a few
minutes the frequency was clear of those folks lower in the food chain.

This is not the case for most of us, and I suspect most of the complaints
about frequency encroachment come from folks lower in the pecking order.
When signals are 10DB to 20DB weaker from Europe down here, the QRM
becomes more important to try to control.

All that said... I still have very few frequency battles.  When I do, it
is usually with someone with less experience.  I can only recall one
frequency battle with an experienced op, and that one was caused by an
error I had made while operating an unfamiliar radio.  One would think
that the highest scoring stations would stand the highest chance of
bumping in to one another.  But this appears not to be the case.  Well...
with maybe one exception.

73

Bill