[CQ-Contest] Re: Choice of CW Narrow filters

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Choice of CW Narrow filters
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu May 13 10:31:17 1999
>I got 1st place in Europe on 10m low power last CQ WPX CW and
>       my station is just an Icom IC-725 100W (NO CW FILTER) and
>       thre antena is a 2 Element tribander (TH2). I wonder how many
>       of those big gun operators who are used just to call CQ during
>       90% of the contest time without ever having problems with someone
>       "stealing" his frequency, would perform with a smaller station !?

Pedro,

Good post!  Good job.  The thing that most people don't realize is that
the BIGGEST majority of stations out there are NOT the big guns.  I
didn't realize how widespread this was until I actually became a DX
station when I visited Paraguay last November.  Very, very few stations
were LOUD.  Those that were were running amps and/or beams.  The vast
majority were all in the noise and were difficult to discern.  These were
the guys with 100 watts and dipoles or verticals.

So the fact is the big gun just may not hear you as you pointed out.  He
isn't trying to be rude he just can't hear you or any other little guys.
Does it make him a better op?  No.  But that's also why the 100 Watt
stations compete with each other and not the big ones.  It is a fairly
level playing field.

It was fun in WPX this year to work a lot of those little European
stations from my QTH.  Most of the folks I worked I think were in
situations similar to yours.

Good job!

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na