[CQ-Contest] Re: Last 2

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Last 2
From: geoiii@kkn.net (George Fremin III)
Date: Wed Jul 28 11:13:52 1999

Scott Ellington writes:

> I've long suspected a big cause of this problem in contests is when the
> operator only gets part of the call, and says "the station ending in ...."

I think that you are correct to some degree.

Ed wrote:
> He just responded to the "last 2" and didn't log them. And of
> cource, when the qsl arrived, it was returned "not in log".
> Actually, the technique might work in contests also, if nothing
> else other than to get rid of the lid.

Not a very good solution in my mind - afterall I am
trying to put contacts in the log too.

K4OOO wrote:
> It also might help if the person calling CQ would simply and calmly
> mention, "full call signs only please" if and when he or she feels it is
> getting out of hand.

Not a bad solution - but it wastes time and upsets the
rhythm and thus can hurt your rate.

N5NJ wrote:
> This point is valid.  Unfortunately, and regrettably,
> the quickest way to dispose of the "two-letter" callers
> is to work them and get them out of the way.

This is really the best way to deal with the problem.

I have thought about this subject quite a bit and I
know it has been beaten nearly to death here on
the contest reflector.  I am sure you can find many posts
on how much people dislike getting called by partial callsigns
during a run - mainly because it slows things down.

I find that running high rate or even low rate in a contest requires
that you get very good at putting stations in the log
in the most efficent manner that you can regardless of the
calling stations skill level.

Getting angry, yelling at or lecturing the pileup
will only drive away potential contacts.

I have found that one of the secrets to getting good rate
is to work everyone that calls as fast as you can and
do it so that it does not upset you or the stations calling you.

If you hear someone on running guys and notice that he
makes it sound easy - the chances are that he has
gotten good at working even the poorest of ops with
out sounding like it is a problem.

The ARRL field day is a great place to practice.

--

George Fremin III
Johnson City, Texas             "Experiment trumps theory."