[CQ-Contest] SO2R a new category?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SO2R a new category?
From: k8cc@mediaone.net (k8cc)
Date: Fri Jun 2 00:34:35 2000
I fail to see how SO2R is any different from any other station hardware or
technology improvement.  Should we have a "no beverage antenna"
category?  How about a "no automatic band or antenna switching"
category.  Perhaps a category for stations not using a computer?  This is
ridiculous...

Why are we singling out SO2R?  SO2R is more than just a matter of buying
another radio/amplifier, building some slick control circuitry, putting
individual feedlines on all of your antennas and buying bandpass
filters.  Certainly some station hardware is required, but it also requires
commitment to learning the skills.  W4AN told me that when he was starting
out with SO2R, he used to practice during the week by working a QSO while
listening to another.  SO2R is a skill to be mastered by the single op -
why discourage this?

In the vast majority of cases, those who refuse to embrace SO2R do so by
choice.  If you have the resources to put up a competitive station, you
likely can afford to buy another station, or borrow the gear from a
non-contest buddy.  If you decide not to, I fail to see that this is any
different from refusing to put up a beverage, incorporate automatic band
switching, or using computer logging.  To make my point - I run a
four-square on 80M - should KC1XX be in a different category because he has
stacked quads?

Each of us decides how much time and effort to invest in our stations.  The
limits are up to each individual - we don't need to splinter the
competition with more categories to correspond with your decision.

73,

Dave/K8CC