[CQ-Contest] Growth of Contesters - was Advice on CW/contest rig

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Growth of Contesters - was Advice on CW/contest rig
From: kg2au@stny.rr.com (Jimmy Weierich)
Date: Fri May 4 16:53:13 2001
Thanks for the link Dale, that's just what I was looking for.

This site shows that from April 2000 to April 2001, the total number
of Expert, Advanced and General class licensees has increased from
320,011 to 290,592. That's an increase of 29,419 or just over 10
percent. Another page on that site shows that 1,309 of those are
newly licensed hams.

I would expect that many of these new HF licensees will be active ,
why else would they have bothered to get the license? Hopefully many
of them will try contesting. And I believe (and this web site seems
to confirm) that there are many inactive hams included in the totals,
so the increase in active HF hams may be greater than 10 percent.

If sheer numbers mean anything, this seems to bode well for HF
contesting in the US!

Best regards,
Jimmy

--