[CQ-Contest] QST vs. NCJ

Subject: [CQ-Contest] QST vs. NCJ
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Sat Jan 12 13:16:55 2002
Matt,

This option of NCJ vs QST has been discussed from time-to-time by the BoD
but makes no sense for the following reasons:

1) advertising $$$ for the ARRL is driven by the number of copies of QST
being mailed each month.  You split the membership between two rags and the
ad $$$ would drop like a rock.

2) QST costs the ARRL nothing.  Not one single dime.  Why?  The ad revenues
cover the costs (plus or minus some pocket change according to Director
Bellows--see a previous post).

3) 100% of the subscription price is used for member services--the lab,
contest admin, QSL bureau, legislative actions, FCC support, etc.

4) NCJ is actually a loss for the ARRL.  The league supports the NCJ out of
general funds (QST subscriptions/membership dues.  Giving away more copies
is an expensive option.