[CQ-Contest] Consider This

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Consider This
From: n2mg@contesting.com (Mike Gilmer - N2MG)
Date: Thu Apr 25 07:11:28 2002
On Wed, 24 April 2002, "Leigh S. Jones, KR6X" wrote

> If a contest sponsor were to create an SO2R
> category, then would there be any way to enforce
> it?  Or could the sponsor simply be creating a new
> way to cheat?

While a valid point, this would not be unique to an
SO2R category.  Almost ALL categories (hell, even your
state/section) are essentially unenforceable.

> Admittedly, if the two rigs are on two different
> bands one could draw inferences from the number of
> bandchanges that occur.

While there is surely a high correlation between the
number and timing of band changes and SO2R operation,
(hell, there is already freeware that proports to tell
one how many "second radio" QSOs were made) it *is*
possible for one radio (even a radio with one VFO knob
like a 940), one autotune amp and automatic antenna
switching to be used to nab QSOs on bands other than
the one being CQed on.  Not nearly as efficient or
effective as true SO2R, but the results in the log
would be fairly similar.

My guess is that anyone "cheating" an SO2R rule is out
of the running anyway.  I think most guys would be
proud of the fact that they ran it!

> But SO2R can be implemented using two rigs and two
> antennas on the same band in a few cases.  It might
> sound far fetched on the surface, but the cross-rig
> interference potential isn't completely
> insurmountable.

While admittedly not trivial, this is definitely do-
able (being done currently by at least one multi-op
station).

73 Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com