[CQ-Contest] Consider This

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Consider This
From: n5ia@zia-connection.com (Milt Jensen)
Date: Thu Apr 25 10:19:39 2002
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
To: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>; <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 6:46 PM
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Consider This

SNIP

> Now, creating an SO1R category that operators could voluntarily enter --
> assuming they are indeed using only one radio -- gives an out to people
who
> choose, for whatever reason, to compete at a different level while
> preserving the high standards of the main single op category. It's a
> win-win. People who feel cheated by SO2R can now compete amongst
like-minded
> individuals while those who want to measure themselves against the best
can
> continue to do so. I suspect the majority of ops would remain in the main
> category irrespective of how many radios they are running.
>
> Remember the category refers to single OPERATOR. Even if he has three
> radios, there's still just ONE operator.

This seems logical to me.  This approach would be similar to what is now
done for the Field Day contest (err, Operating Event) where the QRP entries
are allowed to enter different categories (separate score listing) depending
on whether they have a transmitter power source from fossil fueled
mehcanical sources OR they go to the extra effort of planning and
implementation of wind/solar etc. sources of power and battery storage for
all of their TX/RX power requirements.   There are no rewards other than the
accomplishment of the feat and the QST report of how your operation compared
to a similarly setup/powered station.

Mis dos centavos, de Milt, N5IA; leading a 4A solar powered QRP effort from
K7EAR at DM52 in AZ this year.