[CQ-Contest] Consider This

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Consider This
From: W0uo@cs.com (W0uo@cs.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 22:52:08 2002
KR6X,

With all due respect, lets look at what I said:

The quickest way to expose {an advantage, or lack thereof}, is to include it
in contest reporting. It should be obvious whether such an advantage exists
within just a few months.

> If we want to go further in trying to establish a cause and effect between
SO2R and scores we could design an experiment.  After one year run on two
major contest with current rules, change the rules for the subsequent year
to require stations to stay on one band for just three minutes.  (If SO2R is
the cause of an advantage}, one would expect the advantage to either be
substantially decreased or disappear in the second year.

> Sound like a fair test?

    Now, lets state two hypothesis.  H0:  SO2R is not a significant advantage
in contesting.  H1:  SO2R is a significant advantage in contesting.  Testing
these hypotheses requires an experimental design.  The simplest design, but
not the only one and maybe not the best, is to run two contests, one with
current rules, one with a 3 minute band change limit for both SO1R and SO2R.
    I could, but will not here, state a decision rule.  It should be easy for
anyone with a background in statistics.  Suffice it to say, if  factors other
than SO2R are more significant, it will be born out in the measurements.
    There is no other way to end this argument.  Them that have want to keep
it that way, them that do not want to (or cannot) invest the extra $3,000 or
so that it takes to SO2R right want it changed.
    It may be that, like SO Assisted, SO2R is not a significant advantage.
Its time we found out.

73 de Jim
W0UO/5