[CQ-Contest] making lemonade (was: ARRL report on line scores decision)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] making lemonade (was: ARRL report on line scores decision)
From: n2mg@eham.net (Michael Gilmer)
Date: Thu Jul 25 23:49:01 2002
I was originally against this proposal when I first heard of it as it forces
us to process some of our Fall contest logs during probably the busiest
contest month of the year, November.  As it stands today, I needn't worry
about submitting any logs from the big four (CQWW SSB/CW & SS CW/SSB) until
December.  I must say that I like that arrangement.  Also, a difference in
15 days hardly made a dent in the time-to-market of the scores.

However, since the removal of line scores from QST will reduce the
processing time significantly, 15 days is now a big percentage...so if
asked, I would vote in favor.  I'll eventually get used to the idea (even my
wife admits I can learn new tricks from time to time) and maybe someday we
can shorten it up some more.  Removing line scores from QST removes one of
the last vestiges of paper from the contesting world.  Continued shortening
of the log submission deadlines will remove what is perhaps the very last
one - paper logs.

I see some new Early Bird awards/pins for the first 100 Cabrillo logs in
with more than 300 QSOs...or even better, all logs received within 1 hour
get a 1000 point bonus!

Mike N2MG