[CQ-Contest] making lemonade

Subject: [CQ-Contest] making lemonade
From: mwdink@eskimo.com (mwdink@eskimo.com)
Date: Fri Jul 26 08:47:22 2002
At 06:10 PM 7/25/2002 -0700, Trey Garlough wrote:
Over the past couple of years I have noticed a trend in how contest
logs are submitted.  There is one spike that occurs right after the
contest and another spike the occurs right before the log submission
deadline, and during the intervening weeks the robot becomes very
quiet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I might add that the same exact scenario plays out on the
unofficial 3830 summaries. In the past, I would only post
summaries for a couple weeks after a contest. However, I noticed
we could lose a significant number of participants that always
waited until just before the deadline. For that reason, the
final summary is now always after the log deadline even if
intervening weeks are empty of posts.

I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons for those late logs
but I personally feel 2 weeks and a day are more than sufficient to
get the results in. I also agree it's part of the contest to meet
whatever deadline is set. Seeing line scores six months after
the event (BTW, that's QST - CQ magazine is 12 months!) is like
reading box scores for the local ball team after the season is over.

My input to this "voice" vote - aye!  :>)

73
dink, n7wa