[CQ-Contest] Re: Short contest calls.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Short contest calls.
From: eu1sa@belsonet.net (Vladimir V. Sidorov)
Date: Tue Dec 3 09:05:10 2002
"Jan Erik Holm" <sm2ekm@telia.com>

> > Talking about US calls, can you people explain this to me, it?s
> > been puzzling me for years.
> > There is a K6 guy operating from KH6, he doesn?t sign /KH6
> > or KH6/ just his K6 and two letter suffix. I have asked him on
> > the air and he says it?s perfectly right. How can it be?? Does
> > not seem to follow international regulations which also are signed
> > by the USA.
>
> The "K6" suffix is assigned to the USA.  Hawaii is part of the USA.  There
is no
> international regulation which says Hawaii stations must sign "KH6".  In
fact,
> Hawaii was originally "K6" and California was "W6" only.  Within the
borders of
> a country there is no international regulation how the prefixes must be
> allocated.
>
> o?o  73, de Hans, K0HB

Gents,

Let's don't take it so easy...
Fine, there is no international regulations on the USA prefixes. But there
is something else, let's just call it, status-quo, with prefixes. For
whatever reason there are still prefixes like KL7 and KH6 and people knows
very well what such calls mean. The moment something else is coming, we
might be faced problems.

Examples.
1. OK, K6 can mean any part of the USA. Let's imagine, I work K6XXX who is
located in Hawaii, he gives me 599 31 and DOES NOT sent in his log. Without
his log in hands the log checking system does not know his location and can
only ASSUME that either his location was KH6 (but I don't think, a log
checking program will go for assumptions about actual locations of
particular stations), or I just messed up zones 31 and 3, because most of
"normal" K6's are in the zone 3. In any case, most probably this contact
will not count at all and I will miss a double mult and can even be
penalized. But if he signs as KH6/K6XXX amd makes a few more contacts even
without sending in the log, I will get the double mult...
And what if we are talking about a double mult on 160?
Quite a difference, no?.

2. The same K6XXX  situated in Hawaii works in the WPX contest. How many
poins per QSO he gives to Europe, to North America, etc? Any idea? With his
call he looks like he is in Noth America. Very recently he was looking like
a zero-pointer for the USA stations and he might be just ignored by some of
them. Signing KH6/... he would be very much welcomed everywhere.

So, pls do your best to make your calls clear and understandable at a first
glance.

73,
"Walt", EU1SA