[CQ-Contest] Re: Short contest calls.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Short contest calls.
From: kr6x@kr6x.com (Leigh S. Jones)
Date: Tue Dec 3 06:46:10 2002
I'm afraid that comments like this just don't reflect an understanding
of
reality.  While it's presently possible to do the things that you
suggest,
it hasn't always been and it may not be in the future.

In the US, a government agency that is manned by workers who are
not necessarily steeped in the culture and customs of amateur radio
make day to day decisions regarding us all.  For decades in the past
a decision that was intended to make it easier for these workers
to complete their tasks dictated that amateur radio operators must
take their old callsigns along with them to new locations within the
country when relocating.  There was no mechanism for changing
the callsigns.  Honestly, the level of understanding regarding issues
relating to DXers within our government was at an all time low.

Now a mechanism exists, but it is inadequate and quite costly.
Some one with a nice 4 letter callsign who changes call districts
will be faced with the choice of keeping his old callsign or paying
hundreds of dollars in a gamble with hopes of getting a new callsign
that has equivalent ease of use, but more likely he'll get a clinker.

The present system of paying big money to enter a lottery for
callsigns hasn't always been with us.  I personally held a nice call
that I didn't really find workable many years ago.  I was N6NT,
and I'd chosen that callsign only to discover that 80% of the time
when I answered a CQing station he'd respond "N6?" or
"N6NT?".  There were unnecessary repeats as hams wanted to
hear my callsign three times before they understood it.

Probably today people wouldn't have that problem.

But I had to let my license lapse for a time just to get a new
callsign.  You shouldn't have to do that.  But those are the kind
of obstacles we face in the US.

KR6X